Skip to main content

Work-Study Programs

At Rush University, you can earn while you learn. In addition to grants, loans and stipends, Rush can offer you federally sponsored jobs (known as federal college work-study) to help finance your education. Here is what you need to know and do to take advantage of these work opportunities.

What Is federal college work-study?

Federal college work-study is a form of student financial aid available through Rush University. You must apply for financial aid and have your eligibility determined before participating in the program.

Through the program, the federal government pays approximately 75 percent of your wages (and the government's hiring department picks up the remaining 25 percent).

You will be paid on a bi-weekly basis and are considered a Rush University Medical Center employee. If you are a first-time employee, you must do the following:

  • Complete an employment application
  • Have a physical
  • Have a TB test,
  • Go through a criminal background check prior to beginning your job

How do I apply?

If you are interested in a work-study job, you must first visit the Office of Student Financial Aid to pick up your authorization paperwork. You must renew this eligibility paperwork annually.

These required documents are available from the Office of Student Financial Aid:

  1. Federal college work-study authorization/confidentiality agreement: This must be signed by you and completed by your hiring manager. The form should be completed and returned to the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  2. Employment application: You must complete this form if you have never worked for the Medical Center. The application is available online.
  3. Human resources appointment/pre-employment health screen: You should expect to spend a minimum of two hours at your human resources appointment. Your appointment will begin in HR, which is located on the 4th floor of the Armour Academic Center. Office hours are 7:30 a.m to 5 p.m.
  4. Mandatory pre-hire safety screening course: Your offer of employment with Rush is contingent on successful completion of the pre-hire safety screening course and test prior to the first day of employment.

Your paychecks will not be issued unless all required forms and requirements are met.

Where can I find out about jobs?

Open work-study positions are posted on the Student Financial Aid's RUConnected Portal page. You can access these postings only after you have been accepted to Rush as a student.