Skip to main content

Tax Responsibilities

Filing Taxes

F-1 students living in the U.S. who have earned an income must file income taxes by "tax day" in April annually.  The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers taxable income for international students to be any money received through:

  • Employment
  • A taxable U.S. scholarship or fellowship
  • Nonwage income such as money received through stock options and lottery or gambling winnings
Avoid Tax Scams

Individuals claiming to work for the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may sometimes try to scam or take advantage of international students. If you receive a phone call or message from someone claiming to be a government or law enforcement official, check this Study in the States resource, guard your personal and financial information, and please contact International Student Services.