Individuals who have not formally matriculated to a RUSH University degree or certificate program, but who wish to enroll in a course, may do so by completing the Student-at-Large application.
Please note: Completing the Student-at-Large application does not guarantee admission as a Student-at-Large, or SAL. Each college maintains requirements regarding acceptance, which can be found below. Additionally, the University policy regarding SAL should be reviewed before applying.
Each College determines the availability of its SAL application.
The College of Nursing SAL Application for Fall 2023 is closed. The application for Spring 2024 will open on Tuesday, September 5 and will be open through Monday, November 13. To apply, click here.
The College of Health Sciences SAL Application is open for Fall 2023 through Sunday, August 20. The application will be open for Spring 2024 from late September through Sunday, December 17. To apply, click here.
The Graduate College SAL Application is currently open. The deadline to apply for Fall 2023 is Friday, August 18. The deadline to apply for Spring 2024 is Friday, December 8. To apply, click here.
Each college determines which SAL applicants are accepted and denied. College of Health Sciences and Graduate College decisions occur on a rolling basis, while College of Nursing decisions occur en masse shortly after their application window closes. Representatives from each college will contact their applicants directly to communicate a decision.
Method of Payment
Rush employees seeking to use internal Educational Assistance Benefit (EAB) funds, formerly known as LEAP, should complete all necessary paperwork with Human Resources by their deadline. Please note, this deadline may fall before your application to be a Student-at-Large is approved. For more information, please visit the Employee Service Center.
University SAL Policy
A summary of the University SAL policy can be found below. For more detailed information, please review the Academic Policies section of the Catalog.
- RUSH Medical College courses are not available to SALs.
- Clinical courses are not available to SALs.
- SALs are responsible for being academically prepared for requested courses.
- Current degree- and certificate-seeking students have enrollment priority over SALs.
- SALs may be removed from courses if degree- and certificate-seeking students need to enroll in them. Refunds will be issued if payment has already occurred.
- Students may accumulate up to 12 credit hours as SALs; college deans/associate deans must authorize the accumulation of additional hours.
- Credit earned as an SAL will not necessarily apply toward a Rush degree or certificate program if the student is subsequently admitted to a program.