Skip to main content


Public Transportation

  • Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) - The CTA bus and rail system provides service to the City of Chicago.  Of the nearly 140 bus routes 16 ‘OWL’ routes provide 24-hour service and 16 routes provide express service. The CTA rail system, nicknamed the ‘L’, consists of 8 trains designated by color which run both above and below ground. Two of the routes – the Blue and Red lines – run 24 hours.
  • Pace - A suburban bus service for residents in Cook, Will, DuPage, Kane, Lake and McHenry counties.
  • Metra - A commuter rail system serving Northwest Illinois with eleven train lines.

Bike Share

Divvy, Chicago’s bike share program, offers riders the option to purchase a 24-hour pass or an annual membership.  Students receive a discounted Divvy bike rate of $75 per year. Sign up for a membership here. The student password can be found on the Student Life page of RUConnected or by stopping by the Office of Student Life and Engagement.


If you plan to drive in the United States and/or plan to purchase a motor vehicle (scooter, motorcycle or car) you will need a driver’s license.  In Illinois, non-citizens without a social security number may apply for a  Temporary Visitor Driver’s License (TVDL).  Here is a complete list of documents needed to obtain the TVDL.   Please be aware that the Illinois Secretary of State Office will not issue a TVDL if your I-20 is in Initial Status, so you will want to wait 30 days from your I-20 program start date before applying for a TVDL.

For more information on transportation benefits and student rates please visit Transportation Benefits.