Run, Hide, Fight
Learn how to respond if there's an active shooter on campus.
When an active shooter is in your vicinity, there are three options
- Have an escape route and plan in mind.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Keep your hands visible.
- Hide in an area outside of the shooter’s view.
- Block entry to your hiding place and lock the door.
- Silence your cell phone or mobile device.
- As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger.
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
- Act with physical aggression and throw items at the active shooter.
Call 911 and RUSH Security at (312) 942-5678 when it is safe to do so.
When law enforcement officials arrive
- Remain calm and follow instructions.
- Put down any items in your hands.
- Raise your hands and spread your fingers.
- Keep hands visible at all times.
- Avoid quick movements towards officers; do not run at them or hold on to them for safety.
- Avoid pointing, screaming or yelling.
- Do not stop to ask officers for help or for directions when evacuating.
Information to provide to law enforcement
- Location of the active shooter.
- The number of shooters.
- Physical description of the shooters.
- Number and type of weapons held by shooters.
- Number of potential victims at the location.