Skip to main content

Observership/Shadowing in Neurosurgery

As an observer, you are able to come to RUSH to participate in a “day-in-the-life” experience with a neurosurgical physician at RUSH. The qualifications to be an observer are as follows:

  • Observer must be a medical student or credentialed medical professional 
  • Observer must have a Curriculum Vitae / resume
  • Observer must be accepted by a sponsoring attending within RUSH's Neurosurgery Department
  • Observer must obtain medical clearance from the RUSH Health Department

International Students 

As an observer, you are able to come to RUSH using a B-1/B-2/ESTA (tourist/visitor) visa. Please note, observerships have a maximum of 3 month time frame. 

Please find the list of required documents: 

  • Department B-1/WB Visa Request Form 
  • Volunteer checklist (student will be provided this form after entering the U.S.)
  • Copy of renewed passport
  • Renewed ESTA Application 
  • Copy of individual’s Form I-94 (once student arrives in the U.S.)


Example of International Student Checklist

The following documentation is required of ALL foreign visitor Volunteers or Observers, regardless of departmental sponsorship status:

  • Department B-1 / WB Visa Request Form (if B-1 or ESTA only)
  • Letter of Introduction
  • Job Description
  • Passport Photo page – must be valid and clear copy in PDF format
  • Visa page (unless here on Visa Waiver/ESTA) – must be clear copy and PDF format
  • Most recent Form I-94
    • If you entered the U.S. after April 15, 2013, please go to to print your I-94.

For the following categories, please provide PDF copies in the email of:

  • Tourist
  • F-1 Student/OPT STEM
  • Other categories (i.e. EAD , H-1B, TN):
    • ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization)
    • Current & unexpired Form I-20 (all 3 pages); and
    • Visa Photo page
    • Current & unexpired DS-2019; and
    • Visa Photo page
    • Approval notice; and
    • Visa Photo page
  • OR
    • B1/B2 Visa Photo page
    • EAD card; and
    • Visa Photo page
    • EAD card; and
    • Visa Photo Page
    • EAD card; and
    • Visa Photo page

B1/B2 Tourist Visa

More Information about Rush Volunteer Service

If you have any questions, please email