Fellows spend the majority of their rotaions at RUSH University Medical Center and approximately 4 months at RUSH Oak Park Hospital, which is a nearby affiliated community hospital.
Clinical rotations (each rotation is a 2-week block):
- Gastroenterology (consult service)
- Hepatology and transplant hepatology (consult service)
- Pancreas/biliary (consult service)
- ROPH rotation (consult service)
- Outpatient clinic/endoscopy
- Inpatient endoscopy (for 3rd year fellows)
You'll help staff general clinics as well as specialty clinics in liver transplant, functional bowel diseases, inflammatory bowel disease and pancreatic diseases.
In state-of-the-art endoscopic labs equipped with the most advanced Olympus equipment, you'll train in standard and advanced procedures, including the following:
- Therapeutic ERCP
- Video capsule endoscopy
- Esophageal, small bowel and anorectal manometry
- Prolonged pH monitoring and gut transit by telemetry
- Endoluminal therapies for GERD
You'll participate in clinical research in the Section of Gastroenterology and Nutrition, with six months of research time scheduled over the three-year fellowship. You may pursue your own research projects or participate in faculty research, which currently includes the following:
- Inflammatory bowel diseases (pathophysiologic mechanisms at the membrane level)
- New cytokine therapeutic options and alternative therapies
- Endoscopic techniques (management of endoscopy negative dysphagia)
- Use of endoscopic ultrasound in pancreatic diseases
- Evaluation of newer endoscopic modalities for treating reflux
- New combination therapies for treating hepatitis B and C; quality of life assessments in patients with active hepatitis C
- Peptic ulcer disease management (evaluation of long-term treatments of symptomatic GERD; the validity of assessing prolonged acid exposures in those with symptomatic GERD)
Conferences are a vital part of training and include gastroenterology and internal medicine grand rounds; gastroenterology journal clubs; hepatology journal club; medicine and society conference; liver pathology conferences; endoscopy conference, capsule club; motility conference; safety conference; pancreas/biliary conference; ibd conference; sleisenger and fordtran's textbook chapter review (weekly).