Included here are some materials you might find helpful for research projects using systems and guidelines developed for CAPriCORN.
CAPriCORN Website - Includes additional information on network-wide processes and resources.
RUSH Research Portal - use for submitting projects to RUSH’s Institutional Review Board (IRB)
RUSH Form 118 - use for getting documentation that RUSH’s IRB has determined your project is not human subjects research
REDCap at RUSH - REDCap is a mature, secure web application for building and managing online surveys and databases
Total Individuals With At Least One Encounter in the RUSH CAPriCORN CDM: 1,455,856
January 1, 2011-December 31, 2022
Variable Level Overall
66, 963 (4.60%)
Latinx or Hispanic
Not Latinx or Hispanic
Other or Unknown
- Top 15 Diagnosis Codes and DRGs - These tables display the top 15 diagnosis codes (ICD-10) or DRGs for encounters from October 2015 to April 2018.
- Demographic Data in the CAPriCORN Network
- Demographic Data by RUSH Department
Demographic Data by Priority Conditions
The below reports outline the basic demographic data for patients with conditions in the following priority areas for research at RUSH.
- Demographic Data by Priority Conditions - Cancer
- Demographic Data by Priority Conditions - Inflammation and Infection
- Demographic Data by Priority Conditions - Musculoskeletal
- Demographic Data by Priority Conditions - Neurosciences and Aging
- Demographic Data by Priority Conditions - Disability
- Demographic Data by Priority Conditions - Additional Conditions
Here are documents and templates you may find useful in building a research project.
- Internal Project Cost Estimates - this document outlines the cost associated with RUSH investigator-led internal projects with CAPriCORN at RUSH.
Templates and Resources
- Template Study Protocol - this is a general template for writing a study protocol using the CAPriCORN database
- Sample Counts Request Purpose - this is a general template for a purpose statement used for submitting a Form 118 at RUSH for aggregate counts using the CAPriCORN database
- CAPriCORN CPT and HCPCS Codes - Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) Codes. These codes are used for billing and may be useful for finding procedures and visit types.
- CAPriCORN DRGs - Diagnosis Related Groups (DRG) Codes are used to group an admission under a root cause. These are very broad. They may be helpful for finding inpatient admissions related to a common problem.
- CAPriCORN ICD-9 Codes - International Classification of Disease (ICD) Codes, 9th edition. These codes are used for encounter diagnoses and may be helpful for finding patients with specific conditions. The 9th edition is no longer in use at RUSH, it was replaced by ICD-10 in October 2015.
- CAPriCORN ICD-10 Codes - International Classification of Disease (ICD) Codes, 10th edition. These codes are used for encounter diagnoses and may be helpful for finding patients with specific conditions.
- CAPriCORN Medications - This is a list of medications pulled from Epic at RUSH and categorized using broad medication categories.
- ICD Phenotypes - This is a list of ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes by Global Burden of Disease (GBD) 2016 nonfatal causes, impairments and nature of injury categories. This may be used for determining what ICD codes should be listed for a given condition.
- CCW Chronic Conditions Code Lists - This resource provides lists of ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes for common chronic conditions and other chronic health, mental health and potentially disabling conditions, provided by the Chronic Conditions Data Warehouse.