Tax Responsibilities

Filing Taxes

F-1 students living in the U.S. who have earned an income must file income taxes by April 15 annually.  The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers taxable income for international students to be any money received through:

  • Employment
  • U.S. scholarship or fellowship
  • Nonwage income such as money received through stock options and lottery or gambling winnings
Avoid Tax Scams

A message from USCIS Public Engagement Division:

Do not fall victim to scammers who call and say they are with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)! There has been an increase in aggressive phone scams where people call and threaten you with police arrest or deportation if you don’t pay them.

Even if you do owe taxes…

  • The IRS will NEVER call and demand immediate payment over the phone.
  • The IRS will NEVER try to threaten or intimidate you, demand payment with a prepaid debit card, or ask for your credit card or debit card number over the phone.
  • The IRS will NEVER threaten to call the police or immigration agents if you don’t pay.
  • If you get a call like this, report it to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration by calling 800.366.4484 or visiting Also, report it to the Federal Trade Commission at

For more information on tax scams, watch this video and read this IRS Tax Tip. If you think you owe taxes, you can call the IRS at (800)829-1040 and they can help you arrange a payment plan.