Current Students


Your academic success is important to Rush University.  Visit our Center for Academic Excellence  to sign up for peer tutoring, writing tutoring, workshops, and webinars.  

Maintaining Status
  • Pursue a full course of study.  At Rush, graduate students are considered full-time when registered for at least nine credit hours per term.  PhD dissertation students are considered full-time when registered for at least two credit hours per term.
    • Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, each term, F-1 visa holders may take one (3 credit hour) online course towards their full course of study. However, any courses taken beyond full-time enrollment for that term may also be taken online. Students in the last semester of a program who only need one course to complete may not take the course on-line.
    • Please visit Student Resources and contact International Student Services with questions about current Student and Exchange Visitor Program guidance related to temporary COVID-19 pandemic regulations.
  • Request I-20 program extension prior to program end date. If you will not be able to complete your program by the date listed on your I-20, please submit an I-20 Request for Program Extension at least 30 days before your I-20 expires.
  • Maintain valid documents. Your passport and Form I-94 must always be valid.
  • Report a change of address within 10 days of the change. U.S. regulation mandates F-1 visa holders report a change of address within 10 days of a move.  With the information you provide through Rush’s Change of Address form International Student Services will update your SEVIS record. 
  • Receive authorization in advance of all employment.  Please be sure to speak to the International Student Services before accepting any employment. Unauthorized employment will result in a terminated I-20.
Be Connected

Join a student organization or affinity group, drop by Student Life and Engagement to visit, study or grab a snack, connect with Student Diversity and Multicultural Affairs and be sure to participate in Welcome Back Week. Off-campus you may want to volunteer, celebrate a Chicago summer through Summer Programming, neighborhood festivals, summer danceconcerts in the park or by enjoying a city market.  If building a boat, learning how to swim or signing up for a community garden plot would help you to unwind then we recommend checking out Chicago Park District.

Be Healthy

Being a student is hard work and we at Rush University want to ensure you feel supported every step of the way. If you haven’t already done so, we recommend connecting with Rush University Counseling Center  for help living well and the Fitness Center for living fit. Rush Wellness Assistance Program is a comprehensive, system-wide resource for all Rush employees, students and their families, providing 24/7 confidential, free counseling by phone or a telehealth appointment as well as legal support, dependent care and financial planning. For any health benefit questions, please reach out to Rush University’s Student Insurance Program

Reduced Course Load

In certain circumstances F-1 visa holders may be authorized to take less than a full course of study. Be sure to submit the Request for Reduced Course Load Authorization form and speak to International Student Services before reducing your course load in order to properly maintain your F-1 status.

  • Illness or medical condition – Students with medical authorization from a medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, or clinical psychologist may be granted an aggregate of no more than 12 months of authorized reduced course load.  Students who are excused from all courses must also complete a Rush University Petition for Leave of Absence form.
  • Academic difficulties  - Students in their initial academic term may be authorized for a reduced course load due to improper course level placement, initial difficulty with reading requirements, initial difficulty with the English language, or unfamiliarity with U.S. teaching methods.
  • To complete course of study in current term – Students in their final term needing less than a full course of study to complete their program may have a reduced course load.
Annual Vacation

F-1 students are considered in status during the annual (or summer) vacation if they intend to register for the next term.  Most programs at Rush University have a continuous enrollment policy so students attend classes year round, so F-1 visa holders may take less than a full course load during the summer program permitting and still be maintaining F-1 status.

On-campus Employment

F-1 students are eligible to work on-campus up to 20 hour per week while school is in session.  Employment within the Rush University Medical Center system is considered on-campus employment; however, employment through the Federal Work-Study program is not open to F-1 students.

    Contact Us

    International Student Services Armour Academic Center, Suite 440 600 S. Paulina Chicago, IL 60612

    Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

    Phone: (312)942-2030