You’re invited to join Drs. Schimpke, Govekar, Perez and Bonomo along with current residents to learn about the RUSH General Surgery Residency program in our virtual open house on Tuesday, September 5, 2023 at 6:00 pm CST. Our team will share personal experiences and answer your questions in an interactive Zoom! This event is open to all M4 students interested in applying to our general surgery residency program in the upcoming recruitment year. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
What is considered a complete application?
- ERAS Application
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE transcript
- MSPE (dean's letter)
- Medical school transcripts
- Personal statement
Rotations are divided between four campuses: RUSH University Medical Center, John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County, RUSH Oak Park Hospital and Elmhurst Memorial Hospital. RUSH and Stroger Hospital are located adjacent to one another, facilitating transportation and lifestyle of house staff. We are very strict when complying with the ACGME work-hour restrictions.
Benefits and Salary:
RUSH offers a competitive salary and full benefits. You can learn more about residents' benefits here.
Interview Day: What to Expect
Our 2023 application cycle will be held virtually. Applicants can expect to begin their day with a presentation by program director Scott Schimpke, MD, and other faculty leadership, followed by:
- An interview with our program director, Scott Schimpke, MD
- An interview with our department chairperson, Alfonso Torquati, MD
- Interviews with two additional faculty members
- An informal Q&A session with current residents where you’ll have a chance to interact and ask questions while getting to know them and our program
In-Person Second Look Opportunity
You’re invited to join us for a no obligation, in-person, second look opportunity at the RUSH University Medical Center campus in early 2024 (date to be announced).