As we approach the close of another transformative year, we want to extend our heartfelt gratitude to each of you for your unwavering support of RUSH University College of Nursing. We have so much to celebrate thanks to the outstanding work of our faculty, staff and students.
I am excited to share we have released our latest edition of Nursing that Transforms magazine. This year, we highlight the transformational impact our programs have on training for the next generation of nursing leaders and the path to more equitable healthcare. In this issue, we tell the stories of our Men in Nursing program, which was founded by our visionary inaugural dean Luther Christman and revitalized by passionate nurses; nursing educators opening doors to new training opportunities in some of our most in-demand programs; the lifelong pursuit of health equity in research and advocacy by Professors Wrenetha Julion and Sarah Ailey; the exceptional impact of longtime supporter Burt Lewis; and much more.
In addition to the stories you’ll find in our annual magazine, I want to draw your attention to some of the accomplishments of our faculty, staff and students from this summer and fall.
- Melinda Earle was named a fellow of the American Academy of Nursing. She joins more than 60 RUSH faculty and alumni who have achieved this landmark accomplishment.
- Wrenetha Julion was named the inaugural Michelle and Larry Goodman, MD, Professor of Health Equity.
- Fred Brown, Wrenetha Julion and Frank Hicks all received honors at the 2023 Power of Nursing Leadership Event.
- Ben Remor Inventor received funding to expand training opportunities for Primary Care NP students. This grant expands ongoing work by Kathy Swartwout.
- Maiko Yamashita received funding to fuel the CRNA program, focusing on health equity and training in underserved communities.
- Four College of Nursing faculty members received the Illinois Nurses Foundation’s 40 Under 40 Emerging Nurse Leaders Award.
- Lynn Mohr was recognized at the 2023 RUSH Faculty Excellence Awards Ceremony.
- RUSH earned recognition among the 2023 Best Schools for Men in Nursing. Faculty and student leaders accepted the award at the American Association of Men in Nursing’s annual conference in October.
- Two College of Nursing students received the prestigious Schweitzer Fellowship. Leah Hoeniges and Viviana Aguayo will both focus their work on health literacy.
Your continued support, compassionate care and enduring commitment to advancing healthcare embody the spirit of RUSH, fostering a legacy that resonates far beyond our campus walls. Thank you for all you have done to celebrate and empower RUSH University College of Nursing this year. On behalf of our college, I wish you and your loved ones a joyous new year.
Christine M Kennedy, RN, PhD, FAAN
Kellogg Dean, College of Nursing
Provost, Interim & Vice President