Welcome to the Internal Medicine Residency website! Take a look around to learn more about our program, residents, and faculty.
The Department of Internal Medicine offers an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-accredited three-year residency program in internal medicine. A broad range of outpatient and inpatient experiences in these programs will help you become an excellent clinician, capable of providing the highest-quality care to all patients while working successfully as part of a multidisciplinary team.
In addition, the Department of Internal Medicine collaborates with John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County to offer a Primary Care Internal Medicine Residency. This three year program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education and offers experiences at both RUSH University and Cook County Hospital with a focus on primary care.
RUSH University is committed to the personal and professional needs of each resident and cultivates an environment of mutual respect and professionalism for a rich and rewarding educational experience. During training, you'll develop strong and enduring relationships with colleagues, mentors and patients. The success of our hospital and training program is directly related to our consistently superior house officers.
RUSH University Medical Center attracts a diverse patient population from the city, suburbs and surrounding states, representing an unparalleled resident training experience in internal medicine.
Our training programs include the following highlights:
- Outstanding inpatient training experience
- Multidisciplinary team collaboration with faculty, pharmacy, dietitians, nursing, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other specialty care providers
- Strong research support, including a scholarly activity director and budget for resident scholarship
- A wide variety of elective tracks for interested residents including global health, community health, patient safety and quality improvement and medical education
- Training at John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County, including at least one month rotating on the HIV consult service
- Outpatient experiences at RUSH and other subspecialty clinics in Chicago
- A variety of continuity clinic experiences that allow residents to follow patients over the long term
We provide outstanding residency training in the field of Internal Medicine in an inclusive and collegial training environment that fosters clinical excellence and offers an academic focus in the areas of research, quality improvement, health equity, leadership and medical education. Our training mission is highly aligned with the mission of RUSH University and RUSH University Medical Center to serve our local Chicago west side community as well as the tertiary care population referred from around the region.