Skip to main content

Visas for Residents and Fellows

Non-Immigrant Status Information for Residents and Fellows

Annie Bretzer, Immigration Paralegal in Legal Affairs, liaisons with Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), and the Department of State on behalf of incoming and continuing J-1 Exchange visitors for Rush. She also partners with Rush’s designated external immigration attorneys on behalf of those candidates qualifying in the temporary employment authorization categories such as TN or H-1B.

A number of questions can be found by visiting the appropriate government agency’s website, as shown below:

  • For questions on the J-1 Program, please visit the Department of State’s website.

  • For questions on the H-1B category, please visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

New hires may contact Annie Bretzer at with questions about the nonimmigrant work authorization process. Residents and fellows may contact their program coordinator for general questions about housing, insurance, etc.

International Student Services assists and supports Rush University’s F-1 students throughout the student lifecycle. For more information on services provided, please visit our International Student Services website or email the office at