Management of orthopedic infections is an integral part of infectious diseases training in both academic and private practice. At RUMC, fellows gain experience in managing complex osteoarticular infections while rotating on the inpatient general and orthopedics ID consult services, including infections involving native and prosthetic joints, spinal surgery, and orthopedic oncology. Affiliated with Midwest Orthopedics at Rush, which is ranked #5 in the Nation by US News & World Report for orthopedics care, our infectious diseases fellows have the opportunity to see patients who undergo a variety of orthopedic procedures and learn about surgical mechanics, as well as outpatient parenteral antimicrobial therapy.
At RUMC, Dr. John Segreti is an internationally renowned expert in the field of orthopedic infections and antimicrobial utilization. Dr. Nipun Atri has worked on internal guidelines to standardize care for orthopedic infections in the RUSH system. Interested fellows have the opportunity to develop research questions in orthopedic infections during their training. Examples of published studies include:
- Segreti J, Parvizi J, Berbari E, Ricks P, Berríos-Torres SI. Introduction to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee Guideline for Prevention of Surgical Site Infection: Prosthetic Joint Arthroplasty Section. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017 May/Jun; 18(4):394-400.
- Della Valle C, Parvizi J, Bauer TW, DiCesare PE, Evans RP, Segreti J, Spangehl M, Watters WC 3rd, Keith M, Turkelson CM, Wies JL, Sluka P, Hitchcock K. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons clinical practice guideline on: the diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infections of the hip and knee. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011 Jul 20;93(14):1355-7.
- Finney MS, Crank CW, and Segreti J. Use of Daptomycin to Treat Drug-Resistant Gram-Positive Bone and Joint Infections. Current Medical Research and Opinions 2005; 21:1923-1926
- Chihara S, Segreti J. Osteomyelitis. Disease-a- Month. 2010 Jan; 56(1):5-31.
- Segreti J, Nelson JA, Trenholme GM. Chronic Antibiotic Suppression for Infected Orthopedic Prostheses. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 1998; 27:711-713