Visas for Residents and Fellows

Shanda Coleman, Employee/Labor Relations & Compliance Manager in the Human Resources Department, liaisons with Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on behalf of incoming and continuing J-1 Exchange visitors for Rush. She also partners with the designated immigration attorneys on behalf of those candidates qualifying in the temporary worker H-1B category.

A number of questions about J-1 category can be answered at the State Department’s website. The requirements for the H-1B category are addressed on the Homeland Security website. Rush’s Office of International Student Affairs manages the F-1 and OPT STEM categories process. You can email International Student Services at for questions pertaining to those categories.

Candidates and new hires may contact Shanda Coleman at for questions about the work authorization process. Residents and fellows may contact their program coordinator for general questions about housing, insurance, etc.