Rush University Banner Rush University Rush University Medical Center Contact Us
Rush University Banner

GME > Information for Continuing Housestaff > Licensing Information
About Rush University

Temporary Medical Licenses
code #125

Graduates with less than 24 months of U.S. or Canadian Training in a approved Accredited program must apply for a Temporary License .

The Temporary License is the property of the Institution in which you will start training (Rush) and will be issued in the name of the applicant and the training program you are designated to start. A Temporary License is issued for up to three years from your start date, but may be extended for longer training programs. For Instructions on applying for a Temporary License please click here.

TransferringTemporary Medical Licenses
code #125

If you currently hold an Illinois Temporay Medical License from another Institution within the State  you will need to transfer your temporary license to Rush University Medical Center. For instructions please click here.  

To apply for either of the above licenses, please visit the IDFPR website and scroll to the appropriate application

Temporary Training License application and check should be sent to:
Graduate Medical Education
Rush University Medical Center
1650 W Harrison, Suite 466 Atrium
Chicago, IL 60612-1833

NOTE: For those applying for a temporary training license, the CA-MED form will be completed by your program coordinator and forwarded to the GME office. 

Permanent Medical Licenses
code #036

If you have taken and passed all three USMLE or COMLEX Steps and have completed two years of training in an approved U.S. or Canadaian clinical program, you qualify for a Permanent License. Most fellowships are required to apply for a permanent license. It is the House Officer's responsibility to obtain his/her permanent license and to send a copy to the GME office and to your program coordinator/director prior to starting.

 The permanent license is on a three years cycle regardless of the application date. (all permanent licenses are due to expire July 31, 2017).  If you already have a permanent  Illinois license, please forward a copy of the license to the GME office. You may fax a copy to (312) 942-5727, or e-mail a copy to To obtain instructions for applying for a permanent license Click here .

Permanent license application and check should be sent to: IDFPR (Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulations)
320 West Washington Street
Springfield, IL 62786

Controlled Substance Licenses
For Permanent License Applicants/Holders Only
code #336

This application for a state controlled substance registration is required only for those practice locations where controlled drugs are stored in Illinois. A separate application is required for EACH location. Those applying through Rush will use the Rush GME address. The license will be mailed to GME and our staff will notify you when it is received so you can pick it up. A controlled substance license will not be issued until a permanent license is issued, and it will expire at the same time your permanent license does. This is a prerequisite for a Federal controlled substance registration. If you already have a DEA and have been in another state, you will need to apply for an Illinois Controlled Substance license in order to use your DEA in this state.

Controlled Substance application and check may be sent with the permanent application or sent to:
IDFPR (Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulations)
320 West Washington Street
Springfield, IL 62786

To apply for either of the above licenses, please visit the IDFPR website and scroll to the appropriate application


A temporary training license (code # 035) is issued only to those individuals who have been accepted or appointed to a position in a post-graduate program approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education of the American Podiatric Medical Association which includes residencies and preceptorships. NOTE: A temporary training license will expire one year from issuance.

A permanent podiatric license (code # 016) requires completion of one year post-graduate training. NOTE: If you are issued a permanent podiatric license, please be advised that your license will expire on January 31 of each odd-numbered year.

To apply for a podiatric license please visit the IDFPR website

DEA Substance Registration
For Permanent License Applicants/Holders Only
code #DEA 224 cost $751 for three years

DEA application forms for new applicants (those who do not already possess a DEA registration) may be made via the U S Department of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration website with a charge card. You will need this information to complete the application:

  • Your Social Security Number
  • Illinois State Controlled Substance Registration Number
  • Illinois State Permanent License number
  • Credit card (VISA or MasterCard only)



Rush Medical College | College of Nursing | Graduate College | College of Health Sciences | Library | GME
CME | Calendar of Events | Web Privacy Statement | Accessibility Statement | Students with Disabilities | Site Map
Students | Faculty | Researchers | Alumni | Residents & Fellows

© Rush University, Chicago, Illinois