Dear Prospective Visiting Physician:
Thank you for your interest in taking a rotation with us at Rush University Medical Center. On a space available basis, each residency or fellowship program may allow visitors to participate in a rotation under their supervision. Please contact the programs directly for the feasibility of your timing and request.
All visiting physicians must be currently in an ACGME-approved training program in their home institution and:
a. be licensed to practice medicine in the State of Illinois
If you hold a permanent (#036) license or a temporary training (#125) in Illinois and are currently in an ACGME-approved residency/fellowship training program, we will need a copy of it.
If you are not licensed or licensed from another state, you will need to apply for an Illinois license to practice medicine, even if only for one month. There are two options:
- A temporary limited license (code # 130) only covers the exact dates of the rotation here. Contact Jennifer Hayes for more information (312) 942-2729. Please send your original application with a check to Jennifer at the below address. Faxed or emailed copies will not be accepted.
- A permanent license (code # 036) is good for up to three years (depending on the issuance date). The permanent medical license is only a good option if you plan on moving/staying in Illinois or returning often. Please read the description to be sure that you qualify first. If you are unsure as which to apply for, please contact us.
- complete the application form for a visiting physician (PDF, 79K)
You will need to complete the applicant information on the form (with the exception of the two boxes labeled for internal use only). Please print it from your computer and print or type clearly.
Note that the completed form with all required documents must be received in GME at least 60 days prior to the start date of the rotation for those already holding a valid Illinois license.
For visiting physicians who are not currently licensed in Illinois, it will take about three months notice to apply and obtain a license.
- supply all the necessary documentation (a checklist is provided on the application form for your convenience):
- a copy of your Illinois medical license (if you currently have one)
- a copy of a current CV or previous ERAS application
- a letter of permission from your home institution/program director
- verification of your malpractice insurance coverage from your home institution
- a copy of a valid ECFMG certificate (if applicable)
- proof of your completion of a HIPAA program at your home institution
- copy of your immunization records or health clearance form from your employee health office
- Program Letter of Agreement
- Privilege Matrix
Submit your visiting physician application and all attachments after departmental approval. Illinois licensed visitors can submit applications via email to email@example.com or fax to 312-942-5727.
All license applications must be sent via FedEx to:
Jennifer L. Hayes, M.S.
RUSH UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER - GME
1650 W. Harrison, Atrium 466
Chicago, IL 60612
Please make arrangements for your orientation and first day meeting time and location with your program contact person.
Please note: you will also be required to take a 4 hour Epic training class at Rush before you begin your rotation. Jennifer Hayes will help register you for class.
You will also be required to obtain an ID badge from Security (lower level of the Tower, LL1502). Jennifer will provide you paperwork for an ID badge.
You will be eligible to receive discounted student parking at the Rush Parking Garage ($40/month) by showing your visiting physician ID badge. You will also be responsible for a $30 refundable deposit (payable by cash or check) on the first day of your rotation. Enter the visitor’s parking entrances (either A or B) and take your receipt with you to the parking office. Once you receive your AVIT (transponder) you must park in the Employee entrances (C through F). At the end of your rotation, you must return the AVIT to receive your deposit back.
We look forward to welcoming you and contributing to your medical education.
Manager, Graduate Medical Education
Phone: (312) 942-6399
Address: 1650 W Harrison
Chicago, IL 60612