Incoming Students: Before You Arrive

The following information will help make your transition to Rush University as smooth as possible. Immediately below are items that require action from each student. Following the checklist is additional information applicable to a successful start at Rush.

Required of all students

Address update

It is important that we have your current (local) address on file, so prior to the start of classes, we request that you please update your address via the supplemental data form.

Emergency contact

All Rush University students are required to complete the emergency contact information form, which you will learn more about at university orientation. Completion of this form is part of the matriculation process at Rush and failure to complete it will prevent you from registering for the next academic term. You may also choose to be notified in the event of a campus emergency by registering with RU Alert. If you have questions about the RU Alert program, please contact Rush Security Services.

Health insurance

Health insurance is required for all students and is available through Rush University.

  • Rush Medical College students — Your enrollment in the student health insurance plan is mandatory and will occur automatically.
  • Students in the College of Health Sciences, College of Nursing and The Graduate College — You can choose to either enroll in the student health insurance plan or provide proof of other comparable coverage.

All students are required to access the Academic Health Plans (AHP) website to either enroll in student health insurance or provide proof of other coverage. If you enroll in the student health insurance plan, health insurance charges will be assessed to your student account.

If you fail to provide proof of other coverage, you will automatically be enrolled in the student health insurance plan and billed for the premiums. Visit Financial Affairs on the Rush University Portal for more information, or email the Office of Student Financial Affairs


Immunization regulations for the State of Illinois require new students at Rush University born after Jan. 1, 1957 to show proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus and meningococcal conjugate, and all new admissions under the age of 22 shall show proof of having at least one dose of the vaccine on or after 16 years of age. In addition, your college may have other specific immunization and health requirements for which you are accountable regardless of your age. Please check with your respective college regarding specific requirements.

If you are not up-to-date with your immunizations, check with your local board of health for locations or centers offering low-cost or free immunizations. Rush University is required by the state of Illinois to withhold registration for the next academic term unless this requirement is met.

*Students who do not attend classes on campus and/or are enrolled less than half-time do not need to submit immunization records.  For specific questions, please contact your college representative.

Where to submit your immunization information
  • College of Nursing, College of Health Sciences and The Graduate College students: You should submit all required proof of immunizations directly to CastleBranch. Instructions to access your account will be provided by your college.
  • Rush Medical College students: During orientation, you will take a Quantiferon Gold test performed by Lifetime Medical Associates. The only immunization documentation required for you is proof of a Tdap within the last 10 years and, if applicable, a copy of the results of a positive PPD and the corresponding chest X-ray.

For additional information, including required immunizations, check out the Immunization Requirements on the Student Resources page.

Student ID

All students, staff and faculty are required to wear their Rush IDs while on campus. You will need your student ID to gain access to Medical Center buildings, check out library resources, attend student events and enter Rush’s fitness center. Your ID photo will also be included in the online student photobook that is maintained in the RUConnected university portal, available only to Rush students, faculty and staff who have logged into the portal. If you do not want your photo to be included in the online student photobook, you should complete the FERPA consent release form to restrict access to your records.  

Tuition payments

Tuition and fee payments are always due to the Office of Student Financial Affairs by the first Friday of the academic term. Payments are accepted on Self-Service, located on the Rush University Portal by electronic check or credit card. If you make a credit card payment, it will be assessed a 2.5 percent processing fee. You can also make payments in-person or over the phone.

Tuition refunds

Overpayment checks for living expenses are available after tuition, insurance (if applicable) and housing costs (if applicable) are deducted from the financial aid award posted to your account. If you are eligible for a student account refund, the Office of Student Financial Affairs provides the option of direct depositing these funds to your bank account.

If you are interested in direct deposit, please fill out your banking information online via the Financial Information tab in Self-Service, located on the  Rush University Portal. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Financial Affairs.

Additional resources

Books and equipment

You can purchase books and equipment from the Matthews Rush Bookstore, located on the ground floor of the Armour Academic Center. Consult your academic program requirements for books and equipment before purchasing.

Computer accounts

When you start at Rush, you will be given an account to access the computers and your Rush email. If you have questions about your computer or email account, please contact the Office of Student Life and Engagement.


If you are looking for housing off-campus, make use of the Office of Student Life and Engagement’s off-campus housing guide to learn about Chicago neighborhoods, get tips on searching for an apartment and review apartment options close to Rush.

Loan deferment

Only students with non-Stafford loans from attendance at previous institutions need to submit deferment forms to the Office of the Registrar, which provides loan deferment reports on student registration status (full-time, half-time, less than half-time) to the Clearinghouse on a monthly basis.


If you are interested in using loans to finance your education, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Once Rush University has received this application, you will be awarded for loans for which you qualify. You will also receive notification of additional documents that must be completed in order for the Office of Student Financial Aid to process loans. You must complete all required loan documents in order to have loan proceeds applied to your tuition account. Additional information about student loans can be found on the student loans page of the Office of Student Financial Aid website.  

Veteran benefits

If you plan to use veterans educational benefits, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid either by email at, by calling (312) 942-6256 or visiting our office prior to registration so your enrollment certification can be prepared in advance. Additional information regarding the types of veteran benefit programs available and what processes you need to complete are located on Rush University’s Veterans Education Benefits website.


Federal work-study opportunities are available at Rush for eligible students, based on availability of positions for students who wish to earn while they learn. You can obtain additional information about the work study application process on the Office of Student Financial Aid’s work-study website.