Rush’s College of Nursing Ranked 14th in U.S. News & World Report Online Rankings

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Rush University College of Nursing ranks 14th among 159 schools listed in the graduate nursing programs category in U.S. News & World Report’s 2018 Best Online Programs list released today.

“Our online programs are designed for current nurses who want to advance their practice,” said Marquis Foreman, PhD, RN, FAAN, dean of the College of Nursing. “Online courses provide flexibility for these students to coordinate around their individual work schedules and home life responsibilities.”

Distance-learning students at Rush benefit from the same expert faculty who teach students on campus at one of the country’s top nursing programs. The Rush College of Nursing is ranked fourth in the Doctor of Nursing Practice category and 18th in the Master’s Degree category in U.S. News’ 2018 America’s Best Graduate Schools survey, and has eight specialties ranked in the top 10. There are 532 nursing schools in the U.S. with master’s or doctoral programs.

The College of Nursing’s reputation for quality programming and nationally recognized faculty, made accessible through online learning, provides strong value for students seeking an advanced nursing degree.

Faculty credentials and training account for 20 percent of the score U.S. News uses to rank online programs. The remaining 80 percent of U.S. News’ online program rankings are calculated based on the following categories:

  • Student engagement (30 percent)
  • Peer reputation (20 percent)
  • Admissions selectivity (15 percent)
  • Student service and technology (15 percent)

Online programs build on proud history

More than 8,000 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral students have graduated from Rush University College of Nursing. The college awarded its first bachelor’s and master’s degrees in 1975, its first doctor of nursing science degree in 1980 and its first practice doctorate in 1990.

Nursing programs are offered from the master’s through the doctoral (DNP and PhD) levels. The generalist entry master’s program is the pre-licensure program for entry into registered nurse practice.

The following are the college’s degree options available online:

  • Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Program
    • Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) for RNs: Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL)
  • Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Programs
    • Advanced Public Health Nursing
    • Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
    • Neonatal Clinical Nurse Specialist
    • Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
    • Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
    • Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist
    • Psychiatric -Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
    • Transformative Leadership: Population Health
    • Transformative leadership: Systems
  • Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing Science
    • BSN-PhD
    • Master’s-PhD

About Rush University

Rush University, with more than 2,500 students, is a health sciences university that comprises Rush Medical College, the College of Nursing, the College of Health Sciences and the Graduate College.

Rush is an academic health system whose mission is to improve the health of the patients and the diverse communities it serves with nationally recognized health care, education and research, as well as a commitment to community partnerships. The Rush system comprises Rush University Medical Center, Rush University, Rush Copley Medical Center and Rush Oak Park Hospital, as well as numerous outpatient care facilities.