The Nurse Faculty Loan Program (NFLP) is a federally-funded loan program administered by the Bureau of Health Professions, Health Resources and Service Administration. The purpose of the NFLP is to increase the number of qualified nursing faculty. The NFLP, as disbursed through Rush University College of Nursing, offers significant loan forgiveness to students in current MSN advanced practice programs and Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) nursing programs who:
- Undergo specified educational coursework relevant to the nurse faculty role;
- Commit to work full-time as faculty in nursing programs upon graduation;
- Are citizens or nationals of the United States or lawful permanent residents of the United States or one its territories.
Amount of the Loan
The maximum amount of the loan is $35,500 per year; the actual amount recipients may be authorized to receive will depend upon their other sources of funding for tuition, fees and educational expenses. The Nurse Faculty Loan Program only covers students fees, books and tuition. The maximum number of years a student may receive funding is currently five years. Funding of the NFLP program is determined on a year-to-year basis by the federal government.
Criteria for NFLP Eligibility & Continuation of Funding
The eligibility criteria for new and continuing* students applicants are:
- Enrollment in MSN advanced practice, DNP or PhD (nursing) program;
- Continuous enrollment status;
- At least half-time status for each quarter when NFLP monies are received;
- Agreement to complete the prescribed educational course sequences while enrolled in the program;
- Remain in good academic standing;
- Assumption of a full-time faculty position in a nursing program within one year of graduation.
*Continuing PhD students who wish to apply may not be currently enrolled in dissertation.
Awardees will be selected on a rolling basis until all of the program dollars have been allocated. After graduation from the Rush University College of Nursing, up to 85 percent of the NFLP loan may be forgiven over a consecutive four-year period while serving as full-time nurse faculty at a school of nursing.
For more information, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (312) 942-6256 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click on http://www.rushu.rush.edu/finaid/nflp.html to download the NFLP application.