Rush provides house staff with an excellent benefits package (negotiated each year with the contract) that includes:
In addition, residents and fellows have access to a full range of services as needed to conduct research, carry out patient care responsibilities and further their careers.
- A competitive salary.
- Health insurance, with no premium for resident and a minimal premium for his or her dependents. We also offer free dental insurance for housestaff, with a minimal premium for family members, and fully paid $50,000 life insurance (additional available at group discount rates). Other benefits include short- and long-term disability insurance.
- Four weeks vacation and/or special educational leave.
- Free garage parking at Rush, 24/7.
- Discounts on products and services. A number of local vendors offer discounts and/or services to Rush University Medical Center employees. Benefits include reduced price theatre tickets, discounted admission for certain local and national attractions, employee rates at local hotels, and discounts for products and services, including mobile phones, car rentals and computer equipment.
- Access to L.E.A.P. funding of $1000 each year to cover registration fees for professional conferences, BLS, PALS, ACLS and other courses approved by the program director. For information and reimbursement form go to: http://iris.rush.edu/leaponline/ Note: The form is available only via Rush Intranet access for employees.
For more detailed information, see the Housestaff's Agreement and the Quick Reference Sheet.
- Complete library resources. Rush University carries a comprehensive collection of medical journals, books, government documents and audiovisual material. In addition, our library provides access to computerized information retrieval systems.
- Computer access, including Rush e-mail and Internet linkage. The McCormick Educational Technology Center is accessible to housestaff 24/7. Rush email may be accessed from home Pcs and Macs with Internet capabilities.
- Counseling services. The Housestaff Counseling Program provides expert psychological and psychiatric services, free of charge, to Housestaff with effective short-term treatment of stress and anxiety disorders. Confidential treatment is also provided for marital and relationship problems, job performance, chemical dependency and depression. The Employee Assistance Program (for Rush internal access only) is available to housestaff and their immediate family who experience personal problems with issues such as anxiety, depression, alcohol and drug abuse, financial and legal matters, career, marital or family, and adjustment to illness.
- International services. Our Office of International Services helps residents and fellows from foreign countries make a successful transition to Chicago. The International Office assists housestaff who hold nonimmigrant visa status. This office is the liaison with ECFMG for J-1 Exchange Visitors and with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service for H-1B workers.
- Book Allowance. Each year housestaff receive a tax free allowance and discount to be used at the Rush University Bookstore for books/software/PDAs.