HSM: Prospective Students
For over 30 years, HSM has created an environment where real-world health care executives step into the classroom to train future health care leaders. We offer students:
- A unique practitioner-teacher model. Courses in the latest trends affecting health care management and administration are taught by faculty who are current health care leaders. The practitioner-teacher model allows students to gain first-hand knowledge of real business scenarios that their faculty faces every day.
- Real-world experience. Students of our programs are offered part-time work opportunities to engage with senior level hospital administrators, physicians, nurses, consulting firms, allied health professionals and health planners on a daily basis throughout their studies, allowing students to actively utilize what they are learning in the classroom.
- Engaging curriculum. As a National Center for Healthcare Leadership (NCHL) demonstration site, the HSM program's competency-based curriculum promotes both content and skill development necessary for successful health care leaders.
- A personal touch. Students, alumni, and faculty continually speak to the individual attention given to all matters within the department. The Department of Health Systems Management embodies the Rush values of Innovation, Collaboration, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence. The level of dedication to the students and faculty is apparent in all that we do.
- Flexibility. Students can complete the program on either a full-time or part-time basis, and can specialize through completion of elective courses in consulting, facilities planning, health care entrepreneurship, international health care, physician practice management, professional development or independent study in their area of interest.
- A rich learning environment. Since its founding nearly 170 years ago, Rush has been a national leader in academic medicine. In 2007, Rush was named a "Top-Performing Hospital" by University HealthSystem Consortium (UHC), an alliance of 102 academic medical centers, which placed Rush among the top five medical centers in the nation for the third year in a row. And in the July 2008 U.S.News & World Report, Rush University Medical Center was ranked in seven specialties. Rush has also twice been awarded Magnet designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center in recognition of the excellence of its nursing services. In many areas of medicine, Rush offers treatments available nowhere else. It is this caliber of medicine that draws people to Rush from throughout the Midwest and around the world.
Click HSM Advantage for PDF version of the Rush Advantage information including average profiles for recently admitted students.