Student Occupational Therapy Association
SOTA’s mission is to promote the value of occupational therapy services to the public and other healthcare professionals and enhance the quality of the students’ educational experience through local and national advocacy, community service and professional development.
President: Caitlin Stewart
Vice President: Heidi Chung
Public Relations/Volunteer: Alaena Haber
Financial Coordinator/Treasurer: Amanda Dunbar
Secretary: Ryan Draeger
Faculty Advisor: Becky Ozelie, MHS, OTR/L, BCPR
SOTA is very active and dedicated to donating time and services to the community. SOTA has done several fundraising and community events including:
- Health Professionals Job Fair – SOTA hosted the 2nd annual Rush University Health Professionals Job Fair and experienced an amazing turnout of over 30 local prospective employers and hundreds of prospective employees attended the event. Proceeds from the 2013 Job Fair were donated to Gigi’s Playhouse.
- Please be sure to join us for the July 24, 2014 Health Professionals Job Fair.
- Adopt-a-Family – the class of 2015 raised over $1600.00 to support two local families in need this holiday season.
- Silent Aucton – the class of 2015 orchestrated a silent auction and raised over $1500.00 for Growing Homes. Growing Homes is a social enterprise focused on empowering people and communities with Chicago’s first USDA-Certified Organic, high-production urban farms. The students volunteered at Growing Homes and are the first introduction of occupational therapy to this site.
- Hamdard Center – SOTA students have volunteered at the Hamdard Center which is a Multilingual, Multi-cultural Social & Health Service Agency dedicated to serving the South Asian, Middle Eastern, and the Bosnian communities in Illinois. The students are the sites first introduction to occupational therapy. They have been providing exercise and relaxation groups to participants and staff.
Photo Caption: A few students from the OT Class of 2015.