Why a certificate?
The material is immediately applicable to and tailored to participants??? practical needs.
The larger group of participants in a certificate program generally assures a more interdisciplinary experience.
Students can explore the extent to which they would like to pursue further study.
Course credits can be applied to degree programs at Rush or elsewhere, since Rush University is accredited by the North Central Association.
Online programs are collaborative
- Clinicians from a variety of disciplines, from different work shifts and from widely separated places all exchange ideas and viewpoints. You can work with colleagues who would never be able to assemble in a classroom.
- Online discussions with colleagues may be about the weekly topic, assignments or ethical issues the students are encountering in the professional lives.
- Students often check in many times a day to see who has replied to their posts and respond to them. Thus ethical dialogue occurs throughout the week and not just in a 2-hour classroom session.
- Online communication gives people a chance to prepare their contributions to class. They are able to craft their responses, rather than having to take a stab at saying it right the first time.
- Let???s face it: Plato, Aristotle and Kant are not available for face-to-face study. People learn how to think critically from them by studying their texts with faculty and colleagues.
Online programs are convenient
- Participate anywhere you have a computer ??? home, work or vacation.
- Log in any time. Though there are weekly deadlines that everyone must meet, you choose when to do the work. Students interact with the professor and one another by posting comments and questions on the course site.
- Submit all assignments and interact with your colleagues online. No need to print and mail assignments.
- E-mail questions or responses to your professor at any time. You are not limited to a weekly class schedule or office hours.
- Use Rush Library???s electronic journals and search engines to research your projects or just to stay current in the bioethics literature. You will have free, full-text access to many outstanding journals while you are enrolled at Rush.
Online programs are economical
- No traveling costs, no parking fees. Use your existing home or office computer.
- Get the full value of your tuition by never missing a class ??? you schedule your own class time and we never have snow days.
Who can take the program?
The program is intended for people working in many different clinical contexts:
- Physicians in all specialties
- Nurses in all specialties
- Allied health clinicians (occupational therapists, nutritionists, etc)
- Quality assurance personnel
- Social workers
This program can serve people who are members of ethics committees,??who do ethics consultations or who just have an interest in health care ethics.
Participants should hold at least a bachelor's degree and meet the admission requirements of Rush University. Usually they will have (or be pursuing) advanced degrees in medicine, nursing or a related health science, law, philosophy, religion or some other discipline in the humanities. Professionals who are currently engaged in the practice of their profession are especially encouraged to apply.
We invite and encourage groups of participants from the same institution to enroll in this program. Learning and working together is an effective method of maximizing the benefits of the program beyond the term of study. Special tuition rates are available for groups.
How much does the program cost?
Tuition for each course in the program is $1,533. For information??about payment requirements,??go to the Web site for the??Office of Student Financial Affairs. The cost of books is about $150 for the year; these can be purchased through the??Rush University bookstore??and shipped to your home or office. Special tuition rates are available for groups. Please contact us for more information.
When can I start?
A new program starts every fall and runs through the spring term.?? Applications are accepted at any time but??preferably??by August 1.?? The program runs for 30 weeks with a generous break between Thanksgiving and the new year.