Rush University Banner Rush University Rush University Medical Center Contact Us
Rush University Banner

Office of Student Financial Aid > Withdrawing and Financial Aid > Withdrawing and Financial Aid
About Rush University
Withdrawing from the University
Students wishing to withdraw from Rush University must follow the published policy of the Office of the Registrar. The Office of the Registrar is the designated office that a student must notify if s/he wishes to withdraw from the University. This policy can be found in the Rush University Catalog.
Federal Regulations Regarding Withdrawals
For the purposes of this discussion, students taking a leave of absence are treated in an identical manner to those students who withdraw from Rush. The terms “leave of absence” and “withdrawal” are interchangeable throughout this policy. 
Tuition Refund Policy
The tuition refund policy can be found on the Tuition Refunds page and in the Rush University Catalog. Please note that students may be found liable for tuition amounts charged for the quarter in which they are withdrawing, and may have limited eligibility for financial assistance to pay for those charges.
Title IV Funds Included
The following funds are considered Title IV assistance and are included in the calculations described below:
  • Federal Stafford Loans (Unsubsidized)
  • Federal Stafford Loans (Subsidized)
  • Federal Perkins Loans
  • Federal Graduate PLUS Loans
  • Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
  • Federal Pell Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
Earned Title IV Aid
Title IV funds are awarded to students under the assumption they will attend school for the entire period for which the aid is awarded. Upon withdrawing from Rush University, a student may no longer be eligible for the entire amount of Title IV aid they were awarded and/or received. The Rush University Office of Student Financial Aid is required to calculate how much of the Title IV assistance the student earned based on the period of time s/he remains enrolled for a particular term:
(Enrolled Days in Term/Total Days in Term) = % of Title IV Aid Earned
If the student withdraws after 60% of the term has passed, they are considered to have earned all of their Title IV aid for that period.
Post-Withdrawal Disbursements
If the amount of Title IV aid disbursed is less than the amount the student is eligible to receive, the student may receive a post-withdrawal disbursement to his or her tuition account at Rush University. If this post-withdrawal disbursement contains loan funds, the student may elect to decline these funds so s/he does not incur additional debt. The student will be notified of any post-withdrawal disbursements s/he will receive in writing. Rush University may automatically use all or a portion of a post-withdrawal disbursement (including accepted loan funds) for tuition, fees, or Center Court charges. The student must authorize Rush to use the post-withdrawal disbursement to cover all other charges on their account. If the student does not authorize the school to use these funds, they will be refunded to the student and s/he will be responsible for the balance due.
There are some Title IV funds that the student have been scheduled to receive that cannot be disbursed once the student has withdrawn because of other eligibility requirements. For example, a Stafford or Perkins loan disbursement cannot be made if the student has not signed the appropriate promissory note for that program.
Failure to Earn a Passing Grade in All Courses
Any student who begins classes at Rush, applies for financial aid, completes all of the requirements to obtain that aid, and then fails to receive at least one passing grade for the term may be treated as unofficially withdrawing from the University. Students in this situation will be considered to have completed 50% of the applicable term unless the student’s instructor(s) can show that the student was engaged in an academically related activity beyond this point. Grades of “F” and “I” are considered to be non-passing grades for the purposes of this policy.
Repayment of Unearned Aid
If the amount of aid disbursed to the student is greater than the amount s/he is eligible to receive, this overage must be returned to the federal programs. If a balance is created on the student's tuition account, the student will be billed and is responsible for these charges. Students may also be required to return amounts that were given to them to use for living expenses for the term.
The student and/or Rush University may be responsible for returning the assistance. Rush University's share is the lesser of:
  • the total amount of unearned aid or
  • the institutional charges for the term multiplied by the percentage of unearned aid.
In general, the student is responsible for returning any amounts of unearned aid in excess of the amount calculated above. Any loan amounts that must be returned must be repaid in accordance with the terms of that loan's promissory note (i.e. the student will make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time). However, Rush University will return any grant amounts identified as the student’s obligation. These returned amounts will be charged to the student’s tuition account, and the student will be responsible for paying any amounts due to the University.
Students with questions about this process should first call the Office of Financial Aid at (312) 942-6256.  Students with questions may also call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 4-FEDAID. The Office of Financial Aid is open from 8am-4:30pm M-F (CST) and the Federal Student Aid Information Center is open from 8am-Midnight (EST) 7 days/week. TTY users may call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 730-8913. The Center also has information online at
State & Institutional Regulations Regarding Withdrawals
All state and institutional grants for the withdrawal term will be reduced if they exceed the student's tuition charges for that term. If the student withdraws and all of the tuition is not refunded to her/him, any state or institutional grants received for that term can be used to help cover this expense, not to exceed tuition.
If the student has taken out a private loan for the withdrawal term and the student has a credit on his or her account after all other aid has been returned according to the regulations listed above, Rush University will return private loan funds to the student's lender. The amount returned will be the lesser of the credit amount on the student's tuition account or the total amount of the private loan for the term. Any remaining credit will be sent to the student in the form of a check from the Financial Affairs Office.

Rush Medical College | College of Nursing | Graduate College | College of Health Sciences | Library | GME
CME | Calendar of Events | Web Privacy Statement | Accessibility Statement | Students with Disabilities | Site Map
Students | Faculty | Researchers | Alumni | Residents & Fellows

© Rush University, Chicago, Illinois