Rush REMEDY is an organization dedicated to the recovery and redistribution of unused medical supplies for the purpose of global aid, waste reduction and cost-effectiveness. The mission of Rush REMEDY includes:
· Improve the quality of health care around the world by responsibly redistributing medical supplies and equipment
· Reduce the medical waste created by Rush by actively recovering surplus medical supplies
· Provide medical supplies to any Rush affiliated medical mission trip
· Promote awareness of global health issues within the university and community
HOW IT STARTED:
Rush REMEDY was started in 2008 by a group of medical students and staff who recognized the surplus of exposed but unused materials in operating rooms and modeled our recovery and recycling program off of the national REMEDY, Inc
. group. Rush REMEDY works with the Hospital Sisters Mission Outreach
, who collects all supplies, then sort, organize, and package supplies to be sent to clinics and hospitals in other countries.
Mission Outreach is a not-for-profit organization that responds to the sick, poor and needy through a medical equipment and supply recovery and distribution program, education and awareness opportunities and cross cultural mission experiences.
HOW IT WORKS:
· Unused medical supplies from the operating room are recovered as surplus supplies
· These supplies are stored at the Rush Warehouse and transported to Mission Outreach
· Mission Outreach works directly with clinics and hospitals to coordinate the sorting, packing and shipment of supplies
In 2010, almost 60,000 lbs. in Rush medical supplies were kept from the landfills directly because of the work of Rush REMEDY! Additionally, these supplies have an estimated worth of $792,230.