Voluntary Withdrawal

After matriculation to Rush University a student may not arbitrarily cease registration. All students are required to maintain continuous enrollment or risk administrative withdrawal due to unexplained non-registration.

Withdrawal implies the permanent departure from the University without the immediate expectation of return. Any student withdrawing from the University must give formal notification by completing a Petition to Withdrawal form, which requires the student to obtain the signatures of specific University offices. The Office of the Registrar is the designated office that a student must notify if he/she wishes to withdraw from the University. The Petition to Withdrawal form may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar or online at: www.rushu.rush.edu/registrar/forms.html. No withdrawals are allowed during the final examination period. Withdrawal is also not allowed after the last class day of the quarter. Official withdrawal from the University entitles a student to a tuition refund from the first through the fifth weeks of the quarter. No other fees are refundable. The Petition to Withdrawal form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by Friday at 4:30 p.m. (Central Time) to be considered valid for a particular week's tuition refund.

Withdrawal from the University: Rush Medical College
Withdrawal is the voluntary termination of enrollment by a student. A student who withdraws and subsequently seeks reinstatement must submit a written petition for reinstatement to the Committee on Admissions of Rush Medical College, if withdrawal took place before the completion of the student's first quarter of enrollment. If the student withdrew subsequent to the first quarter of enrollment, the student must submit a written petition for reinstatement to be reviewed by COSEP. Recommendations by COSEP are then sent to the Dean. All students withdrawing from the University are required to observe a clearance procedure by processing the petition to withdraw available from the Office of the Registrar. This procedure ensures the student that they will be advised of consequences to their loan deferment status, financial aid, and provides timely notification to the AMA and AAMC of their change in status. A student who fails to register and enroll in courses according to the policies of the college will be considered to have withdrawn. A student withdrawing under this provision may submit a written petition for reinstatement to the Dean. The Dean determines if special circumstances existed that justified the student's failure to register or whether the student's petition should be forwarded to the appropriate faculty committee as set forth in the above paragraph.